BHARATIYA VIDYA BHAVAN
# 582, D.B.Road,
Coimbatore - 641002
Phone Numbers: 0422-2542481; 2556351
email id: email@example.com
The Coimbatore Kendra was founded in the year 1964 by Late Shri G.K.Sundaram, Chairman, Lakshmi Mills Company Ltd., for promoting art, culture, literature, and moral and ethical values in the industrial city. Dr. B.K.Krishnaraj Vanavarayar has been the Chairman of the Kendra since 1990. Under his tutelage, the Kendra has further blossomed carrying out a number of activities and programmes.
- The Faculty of Fine Arts was inaugurated in the year 1996 with a three year Diploma Course covering classes in Carnatic Vocal Music, Veena, Mridangam and Bharatnatyam.
Special lectures by spiritual leaders and concerts in music and dance are organized periodically.
- The Rajaji Endowment Lecture stated in 1980, in honour of the great statesman, Shri C.Rajagopalachari is organized annually and eminent scholars are invited to speak on social issues of current relevance.
- The Bhavan's Cultural Centre started in the year 2004, promotes the cultural heritage of India through regular classes on religious texts.
- The Thinkers' Forum started in the year 2005, organizes guest-lectures every month. Experts from different walks of life are invited to speak on a wide range of topics.
- The Tamil Mamani Award instituted in the year 2010 honours well known Tamil Scholars every year. Besides this the Tamilpani Semmal Award instituted in the year 2015, recognizes and awards Tamil Scholars for their contribution to the Tamil Language.
- The Kulapathi Munshi Award instituted in the year 1992 is awarded every year to outstanding persons in the city who have contributed to the welfare of the society.
- The five day Pongal Music Festival is conducted annually in which famous musicians render their concerts. On the inaugural day a senior musician is awarded the title Sangeetha Samrat. The Kovai Subri Muruga Gana Award instituted by Shri S.Krishnamurthy in memory of his father, K.Subramaniam (Kovai Subri), a great freedom fighter, is also awarded every year to honour and recognize a popular, senior Vidwan in the City.
- In order to provide an opportunity to the budding artists of the present day, a three day Dance Festival is organized every year, since its inauguration in 1999. The title, Nritya Ratna is conferred on an eminent artist for his/her outstanding contribution to classical dance.
- The Department of Human Excellence which has been formed with the help of a twenty member expert committee submitted a report on 'Human Excellence' as the ultimate goal of education. This view has been widely appreciated and accepted among academic circles and this concept has been made an integral part of our school curriculum.
- Bhavan's Schools: Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Coimbatore Kendra started its first school in the year 1980. In the formative years Dr. J.Thuljaram Rao, the then Vice-Chairman of the Kendra carefully nourished the school with his untiring efforts and built it into an institution of Excellence. With the growing demand for admissions the Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan Matriculation School was started at Ajjanur in the year 2007 in a 6.75 acre campus, by the Chairman, Shri B.K.Krishnaraj Vanavarayar.
The schools firmly believe that the educational process should be firmly rooted in the country's tradition and culture. In addition to this they also believe in inculcating values and grooming the students into worthy citizens. Equal importance is given to Academic Excellence and Human Excellence so that they emerge as balanced individuals without losing their inner poise.
The Kendra has just started a CBSE School at Ajjanur campus near Vadavalli. A unique feature of Bhavan's Schools is inculcating Indian values while offering contemporary education. Children are offered a wide opportunity to explore and learn. The school has classes from Pre-KG up to grade VI. The school will be developed into a full-fledged Senior Secondary School of Excellence.
All the schools put together has a strength of around 4000 pupils.
- Vivekananda Study Centre: To commemorate the 150th Birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda and to take his vision to the younger generation, Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan launched its dream project on 11th July 2012, by inaugurating more than 175 Centres in schools and colleges in and around Coimbatore. Swami Virabadranandaji formally inaugurated the Vivekananda Study Centre for the Bhavan's School at R.S.Puram. The same year the Vivekananda Study Centre at Bhavan's Ajjanur School was inaugurated by our Chairman Dr. B.K.Krishnaraj Vanavarayar.
- Unveiling of Gandhi Statue: The life size statue of Mahatma Gandhi was unveiled on 2nd October 2012 by Smt. Minoti Aram, President, Shanthi Ashram, Kovaipudur at Ajjanur Matric. Hr. Sec. School.
- Unveiling the Statue of Swami Vivekananda: In commemoration of the 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda a life size statue of the Swamiji was unveiled on 7th January 2014 at R.S.Puram School. Another life size statue of Swami Vivekananda is unveiled at Ajjanur premises also.
- Commemoration of the 1000th birth anniversary of Shri Ramanujacharya - Honoured 17 Vaishnavites by conferring the title 'Shri Ramanuja Perum Thondan' - June 8th, 2016.
- Our YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BharatiyaVidyaBhavanCoimbatoreKendra
NEWS & EVENTS
Orientation - Problem Solving
The students of Classes 9 and 10 attended an orientation on October 21, 2023 on the topic ‘Problem solving’. The resource persons Ms Preetha and Ms Karthika (coordinators of SNS Academy) started the session with meditation followed by dance.
The session helped the students solve many of their problems.
Orientation - Techniques of Memorising
On October 7, 2023, the students of Classes 10 and 11 attended an orientation on the topic ‘Techniques of memorising’. The resource persons Sri Sanjay Gandhi, Deputy Director, Aakash Institute and Sri Senthil Kumar, Branch Manager gave many tips for learning and remembering things. A video of the Chandrayaan 3 launch by ISRO was also screened for the students.
Tritiya Sopan - One Day Camp
Tritiya Sopan and pre-test one day camp was held at Sundapalayam Govt. Hr. Sec. School on October 14, 2023. Twenty-one schools and 186 students attended the camp with 14 guide captains and 10 scout masters. Theory classes about first aid and various knots were taught in the session which was very informative.
Pink Day was celebrated by the students of Kindergarten on October 27, 2023. The children dressed up in pink attire and the classrooms were beautifully decorated with an array of pink coloured objects like balloons, ribbons, soft toys etc. The tiny tots learned about the colour pink through fun-filled activities.
Gandhi Jayanthi Celebration
On October 2, 2023, Gandhi Jayanthi was celebrated. Students organised a special programme to articulate the thoughts of Gandhi. The programme concluded with a floral tribute to Gandhi’s statue.