BHARATIYA VIDYA BHAVAN
# 582, D.B.Road,
Coimbatore - 641002
Phone Numbers: 0422-2542481; 2556351
email id: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Coimbatore Kendra was founded in the year 1964 by Late Shri G.K.Sundaram, Chairman, Lakshmi Mills Company Ltd., for promoting art, culture, literature, and moral and ethical values in the industrial city. Dr. B.K.Krishnaraj Vanavarayar has been the Chairman of the Kendra since 1990. Under his tutelage, the Kendra has further blossomed carrying out a number of activities and programmes.
- The Faculty of Fine Arts was inaugurated in the year 1996 with a three year Diploma Course covering classes in Carnatic Vocal Music, Veena, Mridangam and Bharatnatyam.
Special lectures by spiritual leaders and concerts in music and dance are organized periodically.
- The Rajaji Endowment Lecture stated in 1980, in honour of the great statesman, Shri C.Rajagopalachari is organized annually and eminent scholars are invited to speak on social issues of current relevance.
- The Bhavan's Cultural Centre started in the year 2004, promotes the cultural heritage of India through regular classes on religious texts.
- The Thinkers' Forum started in the year 2005, organizes guest-lectures every month. Experts from different walks of life are invited to speak on a wide range of topics.
- The Tamil Mamani Award instituted in the year 2010 honours well known Tamil Scholars every year. Besides this the Tamilpani Semmal Award instituted in the year 2015, recognizes and awards Tamil Scholars for their contribution to the Tamil Language.
- The Kulapathi Munshi Award instituted in the year 1992 is awarded every year to outstanding persons in the city who have contributed to the welfare of the society.
- The five day Pongal Music Festival is conducted annually in which famous musicians render their concerts. On the inaugural day a senior musician is awarded the title Sangeetha Samrat. The Kovai Subri Muruga Gana Award instituted by Shri S.Krishnamurthy in memory of his father, K.Subramaniam (Kovai Subri), a great freedom fighter, is also awarded every year to honour and recognize a popular, senior Vidwan in the City.
- In order to provide an opportunity to the budding artists of the present day, a three day Dance Festival is organized every year, since its inauguration in 1999. The title, Nritya Ratna is conferred on an eminent artist for his/her outstanding contribution to classical dance.
- The Department of Human Excellence which has been formed with the help of a twenty member expert committee submitted a report on 'Human Excellence' as the ultimate goal of education. This view has been widely appreciated and accepted among academic circles and this concept has been made an integral part of our school curriculum.
- Bhavan's Schools: Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Coimbatore Kendra started its first school in the year 1980. In the formative years Dr. J.Thuljaram Rao, the then Vice-Chairman of the Kendra carefully nourished the school with his untiring efforts and built it into an institution of Excellence. With the growing demand for admissions the Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan Matriculation School was started at Ajjanur in the year 2007 in a 6.75 acre campus, by the Chairman, Shri B.K.Krishnaraj Vanavarayar.
The schools firmly believe that the educational process should be firmly rooted in the country's tradition and culture. In addition to this they also believe in inculcating values and grooming the students into worthy citizens. Equal importance is given to Academic Excellence and Human Excellence so that they emerge as balanced individuals without losing their inner poise.
The Kendra has just started a CBSE School at Ajjanur campus near Vadavalli. A unique feature of Bhavan's Schools is inculcating Indian values while offering contemporary education. Children are offered a wide opportunity to explore and learn. The school has classes from Pre-KG up to grade VI. The school will be developed into a full-fledged Senior Secondary School of Excellence.
All the schools put together has a strength of around 4000 pupils.
- Vivekananda Study Centre: To commemorate the 150th Birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda and to take his vision to the younger generation, Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan launched its dream project on 11th July 2012, by inaugurating more than 175 Centres in schools and colleges in and around Coimbatore. Swami Virabadranandaji formally inaugurated the Vivekananda Study Centre for the Bhavan's School at R.S.Puram. The same year the Vivekananda Study Centre at Bhavan's Ajjanur School was inaugurated by our Chairman Dr. B.K.Krishnaraj Vanavarayar.
- Unveiling of Gandhi Statue: The life size statue of Mahatma Gandhi was unveiled on 2nd October 2012 by Smt. Minoti Aram, President, Shanthi Ashram, Kovaipudur at Ajjanur Matric. Hr. Sec. School.
- Unveiling the Statue of Swami Vivekananda: In commemoration of the 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda a life size statue of the Swamiji was unveiled on 7th January 2014 at R.S.Puram School. Another life size statue of Swami Vivekananda is unveiled at Ajjanur premises also.
- Commemoration of the 1000th birth anniversary of Shri Ramanujacharya - Honoured 17 Vaishnavites by conferring the title 'Shri Ramanuja Perum Thondan' - June 8th, 2016.
- Our YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BharatiyaVidyaBhavanCoimbatoreKendra
NEWS & EVENTS
The investiture ceremony for the academic year 2023-2024 was held in the school premises
on July 14, 2023. The programme commenced with invocation, followed by flag hoisting and flag song. The school choir recited the Gayatri Mantra and Loka Samasta shloka. The student council was invested by the chief guest of the day Shri P V Antony. The chief guest appreciated the band and also gave it an open invitation to participate in the district level meet. He said true leaders should meet any challenge that comes their way and never be afraid to fail.
He concluded his speech saying that each one is unique and one should find his or her own identity.
Annual Awards Function at BVB
The Annual Awards function was organised by BVB, R.S. Puram on June 30, 2023. The members on the dais were the chief guest of the day, the Treasurer, Sh. Alagiri Swamy, the Joint Secretary Sh. Suriyanarayanan, and the Registrar Sh. Prabhakar Rao and the Principal Sh. R.G. Shankar. The programme commenced with a prayer song sung by the school choir. The teachers of Higher Secondary were felicitated with a certificate for producing a great aggregate and a number of centums. This was followed by the toppers of Class 12 sharing their experiences. Then, the overall toppers and the subject toppers of Classes 12, 11 and 10, were commended with medals and certificates for their scores. The retired teachers were honoured with a shawl, bouquet and a citation for their truthfulness and laborious efforts during their tenure.
Bhavan's 26th Pongal Music Festival
The Coimbatore Kendra made a grand comeback with its 26th edition of Bhavan's Pongal Music Festival after a forced two-year gap. This year, the festival was held between January 13-17, 2023, and it was dedicated to the memory of the Tamil saint, philosopher and social reformer Vallalar Ramalinga Adigal, as the year 2023 coincides with his 200th jayanthi (birth anniversary).
The Bhavan normally uses the occasion to honour musicians who have dedicated their life to music. On the inaugural day, the title 'Sangeeth Samrat' was conferred on noted musician Shri V. Rajkumar Bharathi in recognition of the service he has rendered to music in various capacities such as singer, composer, music-director and coordinator of dance-dramas.
The 'Kovai Subri Muruga Gana Award' was conferred on Shri N. Vaidyanathan who has made it his life's mission to spread Thiruppugazh songs among the masses and has been instrumental for starting the 'Thiruppugazh Anbargal' movement in the city.
The festival opened with the music choir of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan's R.S. Puram School, setting the tone with a soulful and melodious rendition of the compositions of Bharathiar and Vallalar.
This 26th Pongal Music Festival featured a galaxy of eminent and seasoned musicians and also launched several upcoming local musicians.
21st Dance Festival - 2022
The 21st Bhavan's Dance festival that was held for three days from October 14 to 16 2022, gave a much-needed boost to the classical dancers of the city, who could finally perform at a gathering, after a two-year hiatus. 'Sriman Narayana', a deity who is very close to the hearts of millions of Indians was the theme that was chosen for this Dance Festival.
An important feature of the Bhavan's Dance Festival is the conferment of the 'Nritya Ratna' award on an experienced and talented dancer or dance teacher who has contributed richly to the field. This year's recipient of the award was Vidushi Smt. Mrudula Rai, a well-known dancer from this very city of Coimbatore. She is the Founder-Director of Shree Natya Niketan.
A total of six Bharatanatyam dance troupes in the city were invited to perform on the theme, 'Sriman Narayana' and on the opening day, the students of Bhavan's faculty of Fine Arts, led by Guru Smt. Karthyayini Srinath gave a crisp introductory presentation.
The Festival concluded with the recently-conferred Nritya Ratna Awardee, Smt. Mrudula Rai and her Shree Natya Niketan troupe's performance.
The success of the Dance Festival was largely due to the fine interpretation and presentation of the theme by the various dance schools that participated this year.
Annual Sports Day
The Annual Sports Day was held at Nehru Stadium on July 29, 2022. The students took part in shot put, long jump, 100 and 75 m dash, sack race, balloon bursting, needle and thread, stringing beads etc. The whole day was buzzing with events and the stadium was full of students in their colourful attire.
The event concluded with the prize distribution ceremony by the Chief Guest, Jt. Secretary Shri Suryanarayanan.